- Welcome to Botswana
- Where To Go
- What To Do
- Where To Stay
- Flora and Fauna
- Visitor Information
- Contact Us
All tourist enterprises licensed under the Tourism Act of 2009 shall be graded in accordance with the provisions of the Botswana Tourism Organisation (BTO) Act, 2009.
The grading system is compulsory and it is conducted bi-annually. The system consists of a rating from 1 to a 5 star facility.
- One Star facility offers fair to good (acceptable/modest) quality in the overall standard of furnishings, service and guest care.
- Two Star facility offers good quality in the overall standard of furnishings, service and guest care.
- Three Star offers very good quality in the overall standard of furnishings, service and guest care.
- Four Star offers superior (excellent) comfort and quality with a high standard of furnishings, service and guest care.
- Five Star facility offers an exceptional quality and luxurious accommodation with highest standard of furnishings, flawless service and meticulous guest care.
The grading criteria is a tool that is developed by Botswana Tourism Organisation in patnership with stakeholders from the tourism Industry and it is used to measure the level of comfort and quality offered
by different types of accomodation facilities. The grading criteria has been developed to meet guest expectations for a specific star rating. Due to the increased emphasis placed by guests on key facilities or
services, an internal weighting is applied to strengthen the consumer driven principle which underpins the criteria evaluation.
The following are measured on the criteria
This measures the cleanliness, quality, condition, adequacy and comfort in all areas
This measures the range, proficiency and consistency of all guest services
Responsible Tourism Standards
This measures the properties level of success in implementing both sustainable and responsible tourism practices
Best Practice Standards
This measurement is applied against properties applying for a 3,4 or 5 star rating and determines the level of excellence in implementing best practices.
The grading criteria can be requested from all Botswana Tourism Organisation offices for free
The grading standards are purchased at the Botswana Burea of Standards. Kindly contact them on +267 3903200 to find out on how you can access them.